Wow, it’s been a trip. I’ve definitely learned that everyone’s body is different and will react differently to similar situations. And doctors don’t always know what’s best, they’re assistants and you’re really the guide to your own well-being.
Nonetheless after waiting to go home for a few days they’re letting me go. I want to thank everyone for their support whether it be flowers, messages, or visits. It made the experience a lot more bearable.
So, I didn’t give my sister part of my liver. The doctor really explained it like this: the preliminary tests are only able to confirm 90% estimates and they’re really never know until they open me up. They opened me up and removed my gall bladder, got that blasted thing out of the way, and started to move stuff around and noticed that the main vein supplying blood to my liver was running differently than they anticipated. Using their wisdom and communications with other experienced surgeons across the world they decided to not proceed with the surgery. Hopefully a more appropriate candidate will come forward and we can get my Alison back to normal (whatever that may be ;-))
It’s still weighing on me that I couldn’t be the life giver I could have been for my little sister but I trust the surgeon’s call by not removing the liver. So as I’m sitting here in stitches (literally) there’s still a lot of emotion that I need to deal with and a long path ahead of me to get me up and running (running-hopefully by this summer).
So will definitely still need your support with my two weeks at my parent’s house in recuperation and months of “taking things slow” (I know, very abnormal for me). Again, thank you all for your support and prayers and hope that they will continue while I recover and we find Alison a better donor.
Posted By: Stephen