Friday, December 4, 2009

Talk, smile, laugh.....

Friday, 9:15 p.m.

So Thursday turned out to be a very long day. We arrived at Yale at 8:30 a.m. for bloodwork, waited until around 11:OO to see a doctor who then called Dr. Emre. Dr. Emre wanted an ultrasound to get a sample of fluid from Alison's abdomen and then perhaps drain some fluid. Well, it was decided after an initial ultrasound in the transplant clinic that we would need to go over to the hospital to have an ultrasound done by a technician and then make a final determination as to whether Alison would need to go to Interventional Radiology to have fluid drained. Well, we couldn't get an appointment until 2:30 p.m.-more waiting for Alison without being able to eat or have the tube feeding. Finally, the ultrasound was done, Dr. Emre was consulted and we were told that they would not tap the fluid and we should go home and come back in the morning to see Dr. Emre. It was now almost 4 p.m. and needless to say, we were very, very frustrated. This was a very long and challenging day for Alison-she had only been out of the hospital for a day!!! Anyway, we headed home and Alison had an "OK" night. She decided to try and sleep in the recliner to see if she would get a more restful night.

We headed back to Yale this morning. With prayers being said, we arrived for bloodwork. After waiting again for a couple of hours, we finally saw Dr. Emre. Alison's white count had come down-that was good news. Other components of her bloodwork looked good also-Yeah!. She did have more fluid build up though, so Dr. Emre decide to start lasix again. If, Alison's fluid does not lessen, she will have a drain put in her abdomen on Monday. This was not good news, so we pray that her body along with the lasix will lessen the fluid this weekend. The good news is that Alison is probably feeling the best she has felt in a very long time. Once home, we had a relaxing evening, making pizza. Alison's roommate, Marissa joined us-it was so nice to see Alison enjoying some time with a friend. Her legs and ankles were pretty swollen by bedtime, hopefully that will be better tomorrow. Our cousin, Marianne brought Alison a special gift tonight, which she just loved-a beautiful frame that said, "Miracles Happen" and on the back she printed special excerpts from the blog. We certainly do know that miracles really do happen, we were reminded of that today as we got a glimpse of the "old" Alison. Yes, miracles do happen-we thank our John for giving us the gift of watching our daughter, for the first time in a very long time-talk and smile and laugh.
Much love to all,
Karen and Joe


  1. So happy to hear of Alison's Friday night with friends. We all know that friends are the best medicine. Maybe this holiday season will bring it back to where it should be without all the hub bub. We sure do have alot to be thankful for and need to remember that all of Ali's Angels are watching over her.

    God Bless.

  2. Just keep putting one step ahead of the next. Praying for a quiet weekend for you all.
    Sending lots of hugs