Thursday, November 5, 2009

First Full Day at Home

So today was my first full day at home. I got to sleep in my own bed last night which was kind of weird. I have to sleep elevated because of the stitches pulling and the feeding tube being in. My head needs to stay above my stomach so that everything runs as it should. Today was a little rough because of the intense chest pain that I am still having. Every time I swallow I get a sharp pain in the right side of my chest, not down the center as you would think. The doctors are uncertain as to why this pain is there, but they assume it is either from the feeding tube being in and my body just needing to get used to it or I may have esophagitis, inflammation of the esophagus. We had the home health nurse come today. She was helpful to my mom, to reassure her that she was calculating the feeding formula and pump correctly, giving me the injection properly and checking my fluid drainage. I knew my mom was doing a good job, but she needed the reassurance. I did go for a walk with my mom to the end of the driveway, twice today. I didn't realize that it was so cold out-gee, time sure does fly when you're having fun (haha!) I have my first follow up appointment with Dr. Emre tomorrow, so hopefully he will have come up with a plan so that this pain goes away, since the pain medications do absolutley nothing. It's amazing to me that this is actually the only pain that I am really having. I would feel like a million bucks with this new and amazing liver of mine if it weren't for this darn chest pain. Hopefully Dr. Emre has some suggestions for me tomorrow.
Dr. Emre and the transplant team decided to keep John for another day just for observation. They wanted to make sure that everything was okay with him eating and not having an IV in. He seems to have done really well all day, and should go home tomorrow. Thankfully he will be home for the weekend, and can get some nice rest at home all weekend long. John said his mom brought him chicken soup today, which was great. I know my mom's chicken soup always makes me feel better. John is learning that home cooked food will always be better than hospital food (haha); though doesn't complain.
Stephen is on his way home as I am writing this and he is going to come to the appointment with us tomorrow. Afterward we are going to stop by John's room so that my almost donor can meet my full donor. The three of us will have a special bond that no one will ever quite understand. I am so glad that all of my immediate family has now gotten to meet the generous and amazing person that saved my life.



  1. It's so good to hear from you today Alison. I'm sure being home is probably the best medicine you could have. I hope tomorrow goes well and you see some positive results. I hope John is doing well and can go home too. He and Stephen should have lots to talk about. He is a truly amazing and generous person that will forever be connected to a truly amazing and generous girl. The two of you will make an important impact in this world.
    Sending hugs

  2. Sounds like you're doing very well, outside of that darn tube! It also sounds like that is the last big hurdle you need to conquer!!
    It must be such an amazing feeling to have John in your life. I can only imagine the unconditional love you have for him! He's your guardian angel! Allie's Angel!!!! :)

  3. so happy for everyone. Hope your drs. visit went well. Thoughts and prayers will continue.

    have a good night
    Love Aunt Sandi

  4. Dear Alison:

    I can only guess how nice it must be to be home. You and your Mom make a great team. Although there are still some "hills" to climb that "mountain" is just a memory. I hope the doctor's visit went well and you were able to see John and he is now home as well.

    Hope to see you soon.