Monday, November 2, 2009

Some updates & a special visit

First off, many thanks to my wonderful Aunt Terri for cooking me dinner tonight. Hospital food gets old, fast, so having grilled chicken, rice, and corn (one of my favorite meals) was a nice treat. She also snuck in some cupcakes and cookies! She wouldn't be my Aunt Terri if there wasn't some baking in the mix :) I just love her.
Anyway, I had a special visit from John's family tonight. John, himself, was unable to join as he wasn't feeling up to a visit, but his dad, John Sr., Mom, Doreen, and sister, Kirstin, came over to visit. With them, they brough a gift, which was very generous and not needed, but nonetheless, extremely sweet. Doreen said the gift was something small, but upon being handle the gift, it was far from small. Having this heavy box in my hand, I began unwrapping, to find a "Thing's Remembered" box. It was then I knew this gift was something special. John and his family got me an engraved snowglobe that plays "Amazing Grace". I will forever cherish this gift and it was always stay near and dear to my heart. Thank you, thank you. I had such a nice visit with John's family, we just missed John. Hopefully he feels better soon and can join in on the fun. Kirstin and I walked down to the play room to get the game "Trouble" to bring back to John's room to play together. I hope they are getting family enjoyment out of that! I can't wait to get to know John and his family better, I know there will be plenty more visits to come. I'm really looking forward to girl time as Kirstin and Doreen are awesome and relate well to my mom and me and I know will love my sister as well.
So, to update about today: I woke up in a great mood and full of energy. I ate a pretty big breakfast, put REAL clothes on (I got out of those ugly johnny coats) and took a few laps around the halls. Once I was out of the room, I didn't really want to come back in. I am sick of being cooped up in this tiny room, I really want to go home. But it seems like the doctors like to find reasons to keep me here. The newest word is that I have to start a high protein, low fat diet. The doctors determined this when they sent some of the fluid coming from my abdomen and sent it for testing. I have chylous ascites in my abdomen, which means that I am losing fat when the fluid comes out of the incision; which is a result of the lymphatic system leaking. So the doctors idea is that if I eat high protein and low fat, that the lymph system will stop leaking and the fluid will slow significantly. This means that I have to eat things like egg whites, drink loads of milk, and lovely carnation instant breakfasts. Thats basically going to be my diet for the next few days...at least. Needless to say, this news brought down my spirts in a heartbeat. I swear, sometimes I just can't catch a break. All the doctors were telling me to eat soooo much, so I started to eat really well, and now they're taking all the foods away from me that I love. Hopefully this stupid diet works and fast, because I can already tell I'm going to have a hard time with it. Sorry for being a "debbie downer" but I was really enjoying eating again. If this diet does work, I think they will still have to put some stitches into the open parts of the incision just to ensure that it stays closed. Thats basically all for today, I'm going to finish watching "Because I Said So" with Mom (the mother in this movie IS her), then try and get some sleep. Wish me luck tomorrow, I'm really going to need it.

--Alison

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alison,
    Just want you to know that you and your family are still in my thoughts and prayers. You are truly inspirational! Keep your spirits up and I'm sure you will continue to make great healing strides.
    Shelley Hoskins

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed the dinner I made for you and especially the goodies which we will have to slow down on for awhile. Notice, I said awhile. You can be sure that my baking skills will stay in tact and your wish will be my command! You have been so strong through all of this ordeal so this too will just be a setback for now. I am so glad to hear about John and his family. I myself can't wait to meet them. They sound incredible.

    Keeping you and John in my prayers tonight.

    Love,

    Aunt Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Alison,
    It sounds like you had a great day. Continue on this path and for sure you will be back home in no time. Sounds like you recieved not only a new liver, but also caring friends to share your journey with. Just by what you are saying it sounds to me they will fit right in with your wonderful family. (Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins included.) Hopefully I too will get to me this incredible young man, John and his family. What amazing people. Wishing you a peaceful and restful night.
    Love Aunt Sandi :)xxxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are getting in your exercise and doesn't it feel great to get into your own clothes. Keep looking at the positives and know that the docs are watching out for you. Keep up the tremendous work and soon you will be home. How appropriate that the song is "Amazing Grace" for the two of you are nothing but amazing. The two families will be forever connected. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Sending lots of hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete